Monday, April 23, 2012

Turnips

    My new food obsession is putting turnips in everything. Or turnip. One, cut up and steamed, seems to add a little hotness to anything without being obnoxious. Every time I've bought turnips so far, the checker asks what they are. I appreciate that turnips and rutabagas look alike and they might want to be sure which is which. Still, I find it depressing. What do you people eat?
    Apparently, it's the '60s all over again, because I went out and got some radishes, too. We used to like to eat them raw, rubbing them into salt. Still works.

4 comments:

  1. While I love both those veggies, and especially purple top turnips, I find them among the foods that are bountiful in the production of flatulence. While I love the production of flatulence in all forms I sometimes find it embarrassing, especially when working out with my female trainer, and in yoga classes. So I have found myself limiting my consumption of these foods. Your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. People always say that about cabbage, too, but I just don't have a problem with it. Maybe it's all the steaming I do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reply, circa May 1983, from old lady in Canterbury Greengrocer to my inquiry about how to prepare a Rutabaga (called a Swede in England): "Er, it's like any vegetable. It wants a lot of boiling." This is best imagined in a thick rural East Kent accent, boiling being pronounced BORlin'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! Swedes are an important plot point in the old-time radio episode of Escape called The Man Who Won the War. Good to find out what the heck they are.
    'Round here, we more say "bald" for "boiled" as in, "Would you like some bald shrimp?" "What?"

    ReplyDelete