Monday, November 19, 2012

All good gifts

    When I was teeny, I went to Heathwood Hall Episcopal School. However, the elder siblings started at Duke and Yale and at the same time Heathwood started adding all these construction fund charges (having no doubt NOTHING to do with desegregation and white flight) so I started 3d grade in public school. This turns out to be a neat dividing line for the purposes of today's tune-related anecdote.
    Years later, I heard the musical "Godspell" for the first time when my high school girlfriend's Lutheran church put it on. I don't remember if "All Good Gifts" made an impression on me, but the rest of the music did. Eventually I bought a copy of the original Broadway cast recording, though this was probably a decade of more later. And that's when I noticed "All Good Gifts," and remembered that they used to sing it in chapel at Heathwood. Also a kid at Rosewood named David Krassky sang it in a school program.
    Turns out that it's a very very popular Anglican/Episcopalian hymn called, I think (I looked it up, but don't feel like doing it again) "We Plow the Fields and Scatter." (Well, "Plough." I looked it up anyway.) I only spent 3d grade, 1970-1 at Rosewood, and never saw David Krassky again. Turns out that "Godspell" didn't even open on Broadway until late 1971. All these years I thought retroactively that the Episcopalians and young David were being infinitely hip doing this Broadway tune. Turns out that Broadway was being hip swiping an excellent Episcopalian hymn. The things you learn... eventually!
    PS: Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment