Sunday, November 18, 2012

White noise

    I can't decide whether white noise is good for sleeping or not. Last night I slept straight though until 6, but then couldn't get back to sleep. Of course, this may have been more because yesterday's Ethiopian food disagreed with me than because of the noise. One difference that blog readers will appreciate is that though I have vivid dreams under white noise conditions, I can't remember them at all when I wake up. I don't mind either, but I feel a lot less rested than I do on mornings when I've in fact slept a lot less. So I'll keep experimenting and see how I feel about it after a few more days.
    One thing I'll say is that the second Droid app I downloaded, Relax & Sleep, is vastly better than the first one (White Noise). It is creepy that it seems to run 24 hours a day, even when the smart phone is sleeping. But I don't think it's anything dangerous. (Knock on wood.)
    One thing I'll say about the drive on US 21 yesterday that wasn't fun: we got stuck behind a truck that was loaded with wood chips. I say "was"; most of them seemed to fly off and hit me in the windshield. I think there was supposed to be a net over the top, but I guess that would have been too hard. Paul took a picture, but I don't know how it turned out. Memo to Joel & Ethan Coen: woodchippers aren't all that fun even when they're used for their intended purpose. Fortunately, the road widened to four lanes after what only seemed like 100 miles, and we left the truck behind. As this was the only bad part of the whole cool day and even it was funny, I'll still call it a win.

No comments:

Post a Comment