Monday, November 12, 2012

Virtual page-turner

    A buddy sent me his novel to read with the idea that I might give him an enthusiastic review on Amazon. This won't be a problem; it's really good. Only fly in the ointment is that I want to call it a page-turner, but I'm reading a PDF file. Does that make it a virtual pageturner? An electronic pageturner? (A turner of electronic pages?) I'm stumped. Tried to google but google doesn't believe in synonyms (or possibly portmanteau words) but my memory came through: "compelling"! There's a good word. ("The narrative pull pulls" probably would not be adequate, but I like that one, too.)
    Speaking of novels, I wonder how far I could go with one where a Southern family speaks in murmurs and whispers about one family member, and a visitor, suspecting madness or perversion, finally asks what's wrong with the black sheep. "He's RATIONAL!" one old lady confides. Probably not very far.

No comments:

Post a Comment