Monday, November 5, 2012

Daylight saving

    My buddy Paul was most peeved about the end of Daylight Savings Time. He (and I, to a lesser extent) is/are annoyed about having the sun rise before it's time to get up. Nobody we know is going out to plow the north 40 at 6 a.m. and it seems an open question whether we really need dawn's early light quite so early. He remarked that it's actually more pleasant getting up in the morning when it's still dark and I noted that that might be because the sun isn't waking you up earlier than you had intended getting up. I recommended getting a sleep mask, though even mine is imperfect defense against a determined sunrise.
    We also hate it getting dark at 5. It was what made me crazy in England back in the day, though that was more like 4. I dunno, but the more I think about it, even though most studies I see suggest that Daylight Savings doesn't really save much or any energy, I still wouldn't mind too much if it were just converted to year-round. We could just call noon "noonish."
    And another thing! I'm fed up with the months with the names meaning Seventh, Eighth, Ninth and Tenth actually being the ninth, tenth, eleventh and twelfth, dangit! Let's ship July and August to the end of the year. I'm pretty sure Caesar and Augustus won't mind. (More essential issues of the day.:P)

3 comments:

  1. Speaking as a person who grew up in a northern state that did not recognize Daylight Savings Time until very recently, Daylight Savings Time makes a lot of sense north of the 40th Parallel, especially when you have school aged kids and are not excited about them shuffling off to the bus in pitch darkness. But feel free to plough your field whenever it suits you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Standard Time, but I know what you meant. Agreed, agreed. On the other hand, they seem to be starting elementary school at 7:30 in the morning around here, so it wouldn't make a lot of difference. Crazy old world.

      Delete
    2. Indiana was locked on perpetual Eastern Standard Time until 2005. As a kid I thought it was very inconvenient that the Brady Bunch came on the television at different times depending on whether it was Summer or Winter, but it never occurred to me to wonder why. The first time I ever set my clock back in the fall was in Canterbury.

      Delete