Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Libel

    I committed a little libel on Facebook yesterday. For years, since quitting gluten and more especially since quitting dairy I have been vitally curious about a boxed macaroni and cheese like product called Road's End Organics Macaroni and Chreese. In the gluten-free world, convenience foods are few, far between, and expensive. Also, a rule of thumb about prepared foods or easy to prepare foods in the gluten-free world is that they almost invariably taste like ass. So although I always wanted to try this item, and bought it with a certain degree of excitement that maybe it could be my emergency food of choice, there was also an element of trepidation that it might not be as wonderful as the text on the box suggested.
    Unfortunately, it lived down to expectations. And I let the world know to the extent I am capable via Facebook. (Something about "it wasn't actually the road's end; the road-builders just gave up in despair." The box indicated that it contained two servings, so I ate about half and left the rest for today's lunch. I dreaded it. I must have put lunch off at least a half hour. Finally giving up on inspiration ever hitting, I just added chicken broth, salt, pepper, sunflower seeds, Crystal hot sauce and Pickapeppa sauce and turned on the heat. And ya know what? The awful crap turned out pretty good!
    So we learn a valuable lesson: the rules are the same for gluten-free soy-free casein-free as they ever were. If you add enough stuff that tastes good to something that tastes like ass, you'll probably wind up with something that tastes good. So yay, and my (limited) apologies to Road's End Organics; your product, though awful, is not irremediable. (Did somebody say "damning with faint praise"?)

No comments:

Post a Comment