Saturday, November 3, 2012

Sugar Bear

    When I was teeny, Sugar Bear was a character on a Saturday morning cartoon show. The way I remember it is that this came first, then he became spokes-cartoon (OK, mascot) for a breakfast cereal. However, Wikipedia says that the characters on the cartoon show were all, or nearly all, mascots for various brands of Post cereals. Wiki doesn't mention it, but I'm pretty the FCC came down on the network and forbid having cartoon characters do both Saturday morning TV shows and commercials. Anyway, Sugar Bear (whom I had liked a LOT as a character on the show) was exiled to commercials only for a cereal that changed its name every couple of years (Sugar Crisp, Super Golden Crisp, etc.)
    If, like me, you cut back your TV watching during the '80s and '90s, you should probably read the Wiki entry. There was some pretty weird stuff going on on those commercials. I never knew that Sugar Bear had a sworn enemy. (Should have been Vinegar Weasel, but wasn't. You really should go look it up.)
    What got me, though, was a realization 45 years late that Sugar Bear was supposed to be Bing Crosby. That was in fact what sent me to Wiki in the first place. Only to see that he was supposed to be Dean Martin. I I I just couldn't believe it! The very idea! Nah, seriously, I can see it. Then again... maybe Dean Martin was trying to be Bing Crosby! Ever think of that Wikipedia?!

No comments:

Post a Comment