Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Jazz town

    So at the jazz sessions last night at Conundrum, I wasn't able to talk to Glynis, the bass player I blogged about last week regarding the stroke he just had at 53. But I was keeping a close eye on him and he appeared to be able to control both thumbs. So he seems to have already made a full recovery from his stroke. He also snuck "Master Blaster (Jammin')" by Stevie Wonder into an unrelated jazz number, showing a) that he hasn't lost his Detroit roots and b) that I was correct in asserting that he was BORN to sing Stevie. Jam on.
    The drummer's little sister came up to do "My Funny Valentine." Pure nepotism. She sounded like a blend of Flora Purim, Diana Ross and Christina Aguilera. You really should have been there!
    Lee Bailey demolished on keys. My friend Marty, more frequently seen at Bill's Pickin' Parlor, said to me, "You didn't know you were coming to church tonight, did you?"
    The reason I didn't get to talk to Glynis was because the band never really took a break. Anyway, the instruments didn't. A guy from the crowd took over the keys and another hit the mic, free-styling old school. Anyway, he mentioned the Last Poets. Lots of fun regardless.
    Before I pooped out, another keyboard player did a faithful but still jazzy version of "That's the Way of the World. Glynis and the drummer sang a bit, but the guy on keys was killing it so thoroughly I think they just wanted to let him at it. A great night, and I STILL don't know why these guys aren't famous.

No comments:

Post a Comment