Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Coinkydink

    Continuing on the theme of finding odd music on YouTube, I suddenly got an urge to hear Gregorian monks chant "Bohemian Rhapsody." (I mean, doesn't everybody?) Googling bore no fruit, not surprisingly, but I did find a lot of rock songs done by something called Gregorian: Masters of Chant. (I dug "Kashmir" quite a lot.) Turns out to be a band called Gregorian which has released a series of records called Masters of Chant. (How they could have skipped "Bohemian Rhapsody" I'll never know!)
    The coincidence is that one of the singers is named Gerry O'Beirne. Perhaps Ireland (or Germany; it's a German band) is littered with Gerry O'Beirnes, but I sort of think of it as an uncommon name. One of my favorite singer/songwriter/guitarists has that name, but doesn't look anything like the picture of the guy in Gregorian and has been touring with his own projects during the time (since 2005) that the other one has been in Gregorian. The one in Gregorian was born in 1959; the one I like looks to be a bit older than that, but not enough older to be his father.
    Anyway, the coinkidink caused me to look up the Gerry I like and found that he has put out two records since the last time I looked. So although I'm unlikely to buy any Gregorian, I will no doubt be getting me some new Gerry O'Beirne pretty soon. So yay.

No comments:

Post a Comment