Friday, January 18, 2013

Toddler

    The six hours in the waiting room while Dad had his procedure Wednesday would have dragged considerably worse except for the joy of watching the antics of a toddler who was there (unfortunately for him) for most of it. His grandmother had an equally protracted appointment (or maybe more so; I don't think she had come out by the time Dad did). The child was one year old as of Thanksgiving, and very pleased to be (more or less) walking and talking. He made many, many escape attempts, and had definitely mastered saying and waving bye-bye. He also knew how to change the channel on the TV, unfortunately finding "Full House" reruns. Presumably, this was unintentional.
    He brought a lot of joy to the proceedings and a much needed sense of life continuing. Life continues here, too, though yesterday was very bad. Dad couldn't walk after dialysis either, and I didn't have an ambulance handy. So I had to get him out of the wheelchair myself, and out of the car myself when I got him to Margaret's, and we just got him inside. Later, I had to come back to help him up and on to the living room. I suggested buying him Ensure or Boost since he was also having trouble eating and had missed many meals. He said he didn't need it but Margaret said to go get it. So I got him chocolate Boost. Hopefully, it helped.
    Today he's much better and ate his breakfast no problem. He says that it's just the sedative that they give him for the procedure making him weak for a day or two. Hopefully he's right and hopefully we don't have to do this again. (Just full of hope today, aren't I?)

No comments:

Post a Comment