Thursday, January 17, 2013

Really moving

    After missing a session of dialysis, after an extremely protracted procedure yesterday, and after having trouble getting much breakfast down this morning, Dad was pretty weak for dialysis today. He couldn't get out of the car by himself after several tries. One of the other patients waiting for his ride home stepped forward and gave us a hand. Meanwhile, another of the patients brought out a wheelchair for him, chocked the wheels, and said, "Take a seat, Doc."
    I don't know if it was because of his poor hearing or because he just didn't realize the other patients knew or cared who he is, but Dad was actually trying to get around the wheelchair with his walker. We had to tell him, no, turn around and sit down, which he did. The fellow who got the wheelchair also banged on the door to the back to see if they were ready for Dad, which I wouldn't have done for all my bulldog tendencies regarding my dad's health care. They weren't ready, but came for him in reasonably good order. I explained that he's walking fine, just feeling a little weak. At the moment, it's about the time they called the previous two times to say that he had clots and I had to come get hime again, so I'm a bit on tenterhooks. But I'm hopeful, and really really moved by the friendship, fellowship and teamwork shown by Dad's fellow dialysis patients. We really are all in this together.

2 comments:

  1. What an uplifting story about those helpful patients, John. Your constant concern for & attention to your dad is an example for us all.

    ReplyDelete