Sunday, January 27, 2013

Hogwarts U.

    I had this epic dream last night. As so often, I was back in college, but it was a more confusing college even than usual. Sometimes it was Penn, sometimes it was Harvard and sometimes it was Hogwarts. However, the dining hall was somewhat down-market from all three. I picked up a bowl at the start of the cafeteria line and it was still full of soapy water. So no house elves here.
    The first Hogwarts aspect came when a bunch of young women emerged from a door and I wondered where their house's common room was. The Harvard aspect came when I was outside and surroundings looked more like Harvard Yard than College Yard at Penn. Then there was a long, long walk home in the dark. Apparently Penn is just the other side of town from my dad's house in dreamland. Still a long walk, though. I had the iPad and kept trying to slide the virtual lock, but couldn't stay in the light from each street light long enough.
    The second Hogwarts aspect was when it occurred to me that being a student of magic I ought to be able to break into all these houses I was passing using magic. I didn't try, though. Finally I got to my Dad's house. Ernie "Bubbles" Whitman, a '40s actor and radio personality who happened to be on the iPod at that time in awakeland, congratulated me on making it. I think he also made fun of me for not being able to figure out the iPad, but anybody would.

No comments:

Post a Comment