Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Thousand words exercises

    Well yeah, I know; a picture is worth a thousand words. So I could just post a couple of photos and have done with it, couldn't I? A writer's answer is, "That depends on the words, doesn't it?" Some writers are painterly; some camera-eye sharp. I'm largely blind and highly astigmatic, and it shows. So I need practice. Also, sometimes I'm flat bewildered.
    For instance, I took Paul around the other day to look at a Frink St. (Cayce) phenomenon, just to make sure it wasn't just my WTFometer going on the blink. There's a building on Frink St. that once was the Frink St. Pub. Lately, for some reason, there's been a lot of metalworking going on there. Even more lately, for some other reason the building got a new roof and a yellow paint job, though the latter (for still another reason) only on the facade. What they have now is a jeep. With red ribbons tied to the hood. Under the framework of an awning, but without any awning. Pulling a trailer. With three or four Christmas trees on it. In late January. Now either this is an art installation with a very limited audience or somebody is really lollygagging about throwing out his Christmas trees. (And on finishing his awning.) The go-figure index here is fairly high.
    Less weird, but a little odd: Aldi has a single-serve blender for sale for $20. I already have a single-serve blender. The thing with it is that the glass part (which Google tells me is called a "jar") is all one piece, meaning that the blades are in the bottom and can't be removed. This means that cleaning it is painful and thus never exactly happens. So it's disgusting-looking is what I'm saying. Aldi's also has the jar in one piece, but if I'm inferring correctly from the picture on the box, the blades and the jar are completely separate. You put the stuff you want to blend in the jar, then screw on (presumably) the motorized part and flip the whole thing. This seems somehow weird to me. Especially as you'd have to flip it again and unscrew to drink your smoothie. Not really WTFometer territory, but does anybody think this sounds smart? Dumb? Brilliant? Do I at least make myself clear? Don't worry; I'll work my way up to painterly.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you on the blender - got to bleach it. And I also agree with you on viewing the weird metalworking tree combo - but, cannot agree that you are astigmatic. A tad brilliant perhaps (and we all know how dangerous that can be).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, I'm not being modest; I literally am astigmatic. Vision can't actually be corrected. Don't tell the DMV!

      Delete