Sunday, January 13, 2013

Please hold

    Back when I was young, or anyway younger, I had the great pleasure of inadvertently big-timing a Philadelphia city councilman. These days, in a world of cell phones and voicemail, big-timing might be a little less prevalent, but somehow I doubt it. Regardless, the procedure (back in the innocent 20th century) was for the would-be VIP who was returning your call to get a flunkie to do it for him. The flunkie would wait until you were on the line, then hand off the phone to the VIP.
    I don't even remember why Robert was at my place at the time, since it was long since we had been living together. Nor do I remember why I was unable to answer the phone myself, though one suspects it might have had something to do with a bathroom. The point is that Robert answered the phone, and when the flunkie handed off to the councilman (the totally non-crooked Jim Tayoun), Robert hadn't handed me the phone yet. So of course he said, "please hold," and then gave me the phone and the inadvertent big-timing was complete.
    This was all about some item that one of the partners I was working for wanted addressed. 25 years on, I don't remember the details, and I didn't work for them that much longer. (My choice.) I like to think that the big-timing didn't adversely affect my boss's application. On the other hand, since the Google hits for Jim Tayoun include the words "convicted felon," maybe I did him a big favor if it did.

No comments:

Post a Comment