Monday, January 28, 2013

Note to oldies stations

    The Steve Miller Band sucked in the '70s. Their records have not improved in the intervening decades. There were almost certainly other songs released in 1971 besides "Do You Know What I Mean?" by Lee Michaels. The band War recorded many other songs besides "Low Rider"; great as it is, it might be nice to hear some of them sometimes. Fond as I am of the band Boston, I'm not sure stations need to play them more often than we heard them on the radio when they were new. "Every Breath You Take" is still creepy, and not in a good way. "Sultans of Swing" and "Hotel California" have been played enough, forever.
    I've got a million of these, and will add them all on edit as I think of them or as oldies/ classic rock stations get on my nerves. Only tangentially related, but I finally looked up the lyrics to the refrain of "Domino" by Van Morrison. "Roll me over Romeo/ There you go." Really? No wonder I couldn't figure it out! (I still prefer "Yody yody yody yo. There you go.")
    Edit: Also, Linda Ronstadt did other songs besides "You're No Good." Ditto Steve Winwood and "Roll With It." Ditto Sly and the Family Stone and "Everyday People."

No comments:

Post a Comment