Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Bag lettuce

Edit: This was yesterday's (i.e., Monday's); I published it, but it reverted to draft for reasons of its own. Go figure.

    One of the lesser problems with being a singleton is trying to buy lettuce. Head lettuce is great for a few days, but then you have almost an entire head of lettuce that looks rusty and tastes terrible. Bag lettuce is usually excellent, but it's bagged to be used for a salad or possibly two. What I use it for is a bed of lettuce for my green bean frittata at breakfast-time; even using a pile of lettuce, it takes me about a week to use up a bag. These bags of lettuce nearly always say that they're triple-washed, and that's neat. I just wish that they were triple-dried as well. I always wind up with nasty, rotten lettuce before I get to the bottom of the bag.
    Until now. I finally found a winner, but it's so pretentious sounding that I'm reluctant to mention it. Trader Joe's wild arugula actually lasts to the bottom of the bag. I don't know if arugula is just hardier or whether they indeed triple-dry it. Nor am I a brilliant endorser, because obviously very few people use lettuce like I do, so not very many need it to be this hardy. For all the claims on the package, I'm not noticing any distinct spiciness; it just seems like lettuce to me. Still, if you like me are having difficulty finding lettuce that lasts as long as you like, I can give a qualified endorsement to TJ's wild arugula. Making my breakfast more pretentious since 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment