Sunday, April 20, 2014

Winning the Boy I'm Dumb Decathlon

    For years now I've been steaming my vegetables like it's a religion. I mean all the 5-odd years I've been living here, and maybe during the Alice era before that. And almost that entire time, I've been using (and using up) 11-inch nonstick skillets along with the slightly smaller lid from my big spaghetti pot. This has never worked, but yet I keep doing it. I have no idea at all why I never just used the spaghetti pot instead. It should have been only common sense; for one thing, the lid fits! I can only guess that I tried it once long ago and found it tricky to get the steamer insert out of the deeper pot. Anyway, that's the only idea that makes sense (besides the "I'm a moron" one, but I don't like that one).
    Yesterday, in another Aha! moment, I tried it again. It was no problem at all; just a matter of allowing a few minutes for the steaming water to stop steaming, then draining it off so if the stuff falls out of the insert it doesn't wind up all sopping. My grasp of the completely obvious: improving all the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment