Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Brake light light

    At various times over the past few months and almost constantly over the last week, the indicator light saying that there is a problem with the brake lights on my car has been alit. I don't want to brag about how few friends I have, but I really don't have anyone to check whether in fact I have a problem with the brake lights. The fact that the light goes on and off though suggests that it's more likely some major or minor electrical problem somewhere along the line. I mean, once your brake light goes out, normally it stays out, so presumably an accurate indicator would just stay lit all the time.
    Yesterday I went for an oil change. Parenthetically (See? Parentheses!), I went to the location across town from the one I usually go to. The guy at the usual location just wears me out trying to sell me overpriced work that he doesn't describe clearly or well. (This is the guy who told me the CV joint would get up in the transmission.) The guy at the other location tried to sell me a different load of work, not in any way mentioning any of the absolutely essential work that the other guy had been pushing three months ago. I can only infer that they go from the mileage and the preventative maintenance schedule. (Even paranthetically-er, I recently gave serious thought to switching to a mechanic just because the sign out front said "preventative" instead of "preventive." Pathetic, right?)
    Yesterday was of course the day that the brake light light decided to stop shining, so I didn't have any cause to ask the oil change guy if the brake light was working. Even though we don't have state inspections anymore, I like to think he checked it anyway, and I certainly should have asked. If damn thing stays on much longer, I'll just get new brake light bulbs and see if that makes it go away. I'll need them eventually anyway, right?
    (All paragraphs must now end with "right?")

2 comments:

  1. Check the fluid level in your brake fluid reservoir. See. Didn't even try to sell you new CV joints.

    (Parenthetically, you should take a look at those CV joints.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta flush that transmission, too. Might get up in the CV joints.

      I can do that, but there's another indicator light for brake trouble, which isn't lit. This is the one for brake light trouble. Obviously what I need is a light for brake light light trouble. Also heavier dumbbells, since two 10-lb ones aren't enough to depress the brake enough to light the brake lights.

      Delete