Wednesday, April 30, 2014

And 99 cents

    I've probably whined previously about retailers pricing everything with 99 cents at the end. Obviously it works, or they wouldn't keep doing it. The eye sees $2.99 and thinks $2 instead of three; I have an Economics degree and it gets me nearly every time. But though this annoys me, I'm not so much complaining as criticizing it as a business strategy. Because when I get to the checkout counter and find out that my purchase that I was expecting to be $7 turns out to be $9, I'm going to be pretty sorely annoyed. This happened yesterday at Whole Foods; they are possibly world champions of the "and 99 cents" strategy.
    It occurs to me that this is where the Whole Paycheck nickname came from; when every customer comes out of the store spending more than they thought they were spending, your store is going to get a (well-deserved, in this case) reputation for having very high prices. I can't help but think that Whole Foods customers would probably still buy most items if the price read $3 instead of $2.99. And maybe if we could thus keep a more accurate running count of what we're spending, we'd be less annoyed when we came out. When your business ethics compare unfavorably to Dollar General, perhaps a rethink is in order. Don't ya think?

No comments:

Post a Comment