Thursday, October 2, 2014

Care meeting

    We had Dad's first care meeting at Lowman Home. I talked with the social worker, the physical therapist and an RN. We had a nice chat. The takeaway is that taking him away will be tricky. Usually patients like Dad with gall bladder drains see the flow taper off, but that isn't the case with Dad. So, basically, unless he and Margaret can work out how to empty or change the drain bag, he'll need 24 hour skilled nursing care. Not to mention his continuing bathroom problems.
    Anyway, we all got along well and are all on the same page, more or less. And he definitely needs rehabilitation and physical therapy just to function at all regardless of whether he's eventually going home, so the course as of this minute is set no matter what. I forgot to ask whether he could get a hearing aid, but I will. I left with a pretty good feeling, a lot more optimistic than I was when I took him to the place for rehab 3 years ago.
    Then I turned around, went back to town, picked up Margaret and came right back. (1 pm, the care meeting time, is kind of early for her.) We had a nice visit, if too heavy on TV watching. But they sang some old tunes, too. And that's always sweet. Saturday, the State Fair comes to town and to my neighborhood, so I may not be able to bring her out to see him. But brother William is an excellent substitute.
    Meanwhile, the car was supposed to be ready this afternoon, but the call never came. The rental car is due tomorrow morning, but I guess I won't spit too many razors if I have to pay for a few extra hours. Maybe I'll try to chisel it out of them because of the non-working USB drive. Yeah, that'll happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment