Saturday, October 4, 2014

It is NOT!

    (You'll be glad no doubt to hear that the subject line isn't about my dad, nor anything important at all. We did have a slightly grumpy visit. More on that later, maybe.)
    It's now been three weeks that there has been a "Right lane closed" temporary sign on Huger st. at Blossom St. in Columbia. It was true for maybe as long as one day. After two weeks, it was knocked down or fell, but some idiot went and picked it up. It's really kind of a risky situation, because if people take it seriously, they might get into accidents trying to merge to avoid the imaginary lane closure. So I wonder: is it civil disobedience to knock down such a sign when doing so would make driving significantly safer? Or would that be actual civil obedience? I seriously doubt I'll get around to it. I drive that road often enough that there's no chance that I'll forget that the lane isn't really closed. It's just odd.
    Then again, it's an odd place. A building was there; inexplicably it had fake yellow road signs on the front reading "Crowd Control?" and "Moron Control" (or possibly the other way around). Then that building was knocked down and now there's a foundation and a pile of sand. A really big pile of sand. Nothing ever seems to happen, but there's still equipment there. And perhaps sometimes the right lane is closed. Just never when I'm around. Go figure.
    Grumpiness at Lowman Home was pretty minor. I think we're all just tired and stressed out and uncertain. And it's frustrating that Dad doesn't hear better. But on the whole we had a nice visit. Unlike at the hospital, the football game (again on the SEC Network) isn't magically going to appear on the TV. So I ran over to the nearby WalMart and got him a little radio. I hope that works OK for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment