Friday, October 3, 2014

Street legal

    Getting street legal again cost a couple of grand, which is a couple of grand more than the car is worth. But I am fond of it and comfortable with it and have a fairly nutsy idea of getting it fixed up almost as good as new and then trying to keep it maintained that way for a while. I grew up in a household where we never took care of anything, not the house, not the cars, not anything. So until I show some signs of knowing how to maintain a car, I don't really feel comfortable buying a new one, since it would cease being a new one double-damn-quick. Also with nothing more difficult than getting a new stereo, a decent carwash and vacuuming and maybe three or four new hubcaps, this one would be pretty sparkly.
    I must say though that the rental car was a bit of an eye opener. I dug being able to control the radio from the steering wheel and was the tiniest bit frustrated to get back in my own car and not have that ability. But even at 20 years old, it has a better ride and better seats than the Mazda 2. So there.
    Car was done late so I had to turn in the rental before I had my car back. This made for a good deal of walking, which I never mind. But it just started raining; I'm so relieved that this didn't happen an hour or two ago when I was doing the stroll. Nice timing on the part of all concerned!

No comments:

Post a Comment