Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Staff of life

    Very little in life can be counted on. Death. Taxes. Gluten-free bread tastes like ass. And now we're back down to two eternal verities, and the savior is, of all companies, Aldi. Aldi's new gluten-free bread is rocking our little world, and it's odd how apt that cliche is. When you give up on bread, you give up on a lot of the things that you ate before. When you get it back, you get a lot of stuff back. Garlic bread and patty melts, my friend thought of. French toast and egg-salad sandwiches are more my speed. And PBJs, for gosh sake! I'm plotting and planning my first foray into French onion soup. (Oh, and Trader Joe's has a fake cheese that I kind of like. Suddenly an embarrassment of riches!)
    I've warned all and sundry that Aldi will break your heart. Whatever they sell that you love the most will get discontinued sooner or later, with no more warning than seeing it in the clearance area for a couple of weeks. You can usually track down where Aldi is getting a product by googling the ingredient list, and that worked this time. Aldi's gluten-free bread is also sold by Western Family of British Columbia, Canada. No way to mail order as far as I can tell. I'll just have to move to Vancouver. Darn the luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment