Thursday, May 5, 2016

Mr. Hamlet buys his car

    Tamara really needed to finish her schoolwork today, but nevertheless agreed to come with me to look at my prospective new ride. It proved to be a very long afternoon. However, everything went well. We took our test drive basically to a mechanic. We were dismayed when he said the examination would take an hour and were more so when nobody came to get the car for ten minutes or so. But they actually finished in a half hour and issued a buy recommendation.
    We didn't actually test drive it much longer. I would have liked to take it on the highway, but we wanted to get the deal done soon. That did not actually happen. Much paperwork had to be done. The fact that I had literally no credit record was marveled at. In the end, I gave them a down payment and we agreed to settle up tomorrow afternoon. So I am 39% or so owner of a 2014 Toyota Avalon XLE hybrid. I'm reasonably thrilled about it, but my main reaction is relief not to be driving that crappy car anymore. Not that I felt any shame; just the sense that it might blow up (or otherwise fail) at any moment. I was also tickled that the lady at USAA told me that my premiums would be going up due to trading in for a 20-year newer car. NO!

No comments:

Post a Comment