Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Decisions decisions

    Baptist would like to boot Dad out pretty soon, as in today or tomorrow. Not out on the street or anything; just to HealthSouth's rehab facility near Palmetto Richland. Dad would rather stay. It doesn't help that he seems so groggy and his speech sounds garbled. We know that he's completely in there and capable of making his own decisions, but the representatives of both facilities are more likely to treat him like a child.
    The question is how much physical therapy will he get at Healthsouth compared to Baptist. At Baptist, they're just visiting in the morning. If at HealthSouth they give him therapy more nearly all day, that would be better. He needs a lot of physical therapy; he is very very very weak indeed.
    Malcolm (Jr.) says that the Palmetto Baptist social worker said that since he's already on the physical therapy floor, he's got an inside track to stay if he wants to. (6/2 edit: I must have misheard, as it turned out he wasn't on the physical therapy floor. Anyway, things turned out well.) I'm unclear what's best for him. The care at Baptist is a little short of perfect, but it certainly isn't bad. I've heard good things about HealthSouth and I've known people who went there, but I don't have any intimate knowledge of the facility. My preference is to respect Dad's wishes, but I also want his rehabilitation to go as quickly as possible. I guess I'll ask representatives of both facilities where that can best happen, and decide accordingly. Knock on wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment