Wednesday, May 11, 2011

"Morning."

    Since this latest iteration of Walking John started a couple-three years ago, almost everyone I meet on the trail, boardwalk or sidewalk greets me with "Morning." At first, it mainly happened on the boardwalk at Congaree National Park. I thought, "That doesn't sound very Southern," and decided that maybe I was meeting some of our out-of-state visitors. But then I started getting it on the Riverwalk all the time. While it's a lovely place, it isn't exactly a tourist draw. So presumably these are locals.
    I don't know what it's all about. Maybe it's the economy. Perhaps everyone is so down that they can't bring themselves to call it a good morning. Or maybe people just want to save a syllable. But if so, they could do like me, say "hi," and save another one. So far, I've resisted the temptation to correct them ("GOOD morning!") or go smart ass ("Yes, it is!") and mainly just smile and say "Hey," "Hi," "Hello" or "Howdy." But maybe I'll branch out to "What's your story, morning glory?" Oasis won't mind.

2 comments:

  1. You could be like this guy I saw once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's inevitable. Unless I come up with a song that goes, "Zippy!"

    ReplyDelete