Saturday, May 14, 2011

Marital aid

    Dee at the Aldi on Augusta Road is the fastest checker in the history of the world. (Her real name is Diana, so perhaps that's spelled "D.") This morning there were two checkout lines open, each filled with people with completely loaded shopping carts. Aldi draws a lot of folks who either do all their shopping for the week at once or who are supplying their entire restaurant. (You can tell the difference by the count of loaves of bread and dozens of eggs.)
    I got in the longer line, the one that Dee was handling. Shortly, another fellow got in line behind me with his week's shopping. His wife, however, got in the other line and castigated him for being in the longer line. He said that he had his faith in Dee. I backed him up, quietly. ("Dee will get us through," I said.) But at length, there was only one cart ahead of her, and he gave in and switched lines.
    Now since I only had four items, the nice fellow ahead of me let him go in front of him. Thus we'll never know if I really would have gotten through the line before him otherwise. Nevertheless, I was checked out before he had even started to be rung up. We laughed our asses off. And he learned an important lesson about marriage.
    What? What marital aid did you think I was talking about?

No comments:

Post a Comment