Sunday, May 1, 2011

Fireworks

    In '04, Alice and I went to New York for a few days around the 4th of July. We crammed a hell of a lot of fun into a few days, though there was too much walking for her tastes. She forced me to see "Rent," for which I'll always be grateful. On the actual 4th, we had an early flight that required us to get up before dawn, so we couldn't be out and about for the fireworks show. However, we surely got to hear it. Memory says that it shook the building, though I'm pretty sure memory is just having fun with me. The building was the Barclay Hotel, which we loved flat to death. Memory also suggests that we weren't having much trouble with traffic noise or other kinds of city noise at the Barclay. In turn, this suggests that those fireworks out on the East River were too damned loud.
    This was brought to mind last night when another batch of fireworks was too damned loud. Yesterday was Olympia Fest, and though it ended at 5 pm, there seemed to be a fireworks show associated with it that started around 9 pm and ended... well, I think some time around next Wednesday. I dig fireworks; I really do. And maybe it just doesn't seem loud when you're watching and you can ooh and aah. But I was trying to listen to a baseball game (and they were trying to play it, also in the neighborhood; seems like the booms might have been a bit of a distraction) and having a little trouble paying attention.
    I wonder if there's some way to make the pretty colors just as pretty but damp down the boom booms just a bit. (Also, you kids get off my lawn!)

No comments:

Post a Comment