Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Impractical joke

    For a couple of weeks in April, I grew a beard. It came out grey, so I removed it immediately, but while it was growing, I took down my Facebook profile picture. First I put up a picture of myself with a book in front of my face (ie, Bookface). Then I changed it every day, generally choosing someone with a bigger and bigger beard each day. I started with Santa, went on to Gabby Hayes, then proceeded through Darwin, Rip Van Winkle, the Chinese kung fu master in "Kill Bill, Volume 2," and wound up with Rutherford B. Hayes. (Couldn't find any bearded pictures of Helen Hayes.)
    It was just me being silly. I'm sure barely anyone noticed; profile pictures are small and hard to make out  anyway, which is what makes it an impractical joke. But I was boundlessly tickled. And if we're terribly honest, I don't look at all bad with a grey beard; just older than I would rather look.

2 comments: