Sunday, October 16, 2011

Expectations

    Dad has one more day at the Nursing Home To Be Trained Later. The plan is for him to go to dialysis normally Monday but to be taken to the new nursing home instead of back to the old one. I did finally tell him that he would be going to a semi-private room and there might not be either a TV or a phone at first. (It hadn't been a deliberate omission; things just happened so fast.) He didn't go ballistic or seem troubled at all; his only concern was that they know what treatments he needs. After Unihealth, I can hardly blame him.
    I must admit to gothic nightmares of a nurse showing up for in-out catheterization with a bike pump and a drinking straw, but really I think the staff at Rice Estate is much, much more competent. Anyway, it certainly is no snake pit and in the worst scenario, he gets to get a little stronger using up the rest of his Medicare days and will be ready to move in with Margaret when she's ready for him to move in. (She's expecting to leave the hospital tomorrow, but going to her daughter Linda's rather than home.) I think it will work out; anyway I certainly hope so.
    I also admit to being actively afraid when I turned up at Unihealth for my visit yesterday, but have no idea why. Everyone was perfectly cordial, and as far as I could tell, most of the staff had no idea he is leaving soon. I would just as happily keep that up until the end. I hope he gets some kind of care during his remaining time. I noticed he was wearing a button-front shirt, which is normally what he wears for dialysis days, suggesting that they hadn't changed his clothes yesterday. I'll be fairly peeved if he's wearing the same shirt today. Also he has some red in his eye, hopefully just conjunctivitis. They're giving him drops; with luck, that will clear it up. Anyway, he wasn't feeling any pain, or so I conclude from the fact that he thought it was his right eye when it was the left. A good sign, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment