Thursday, October 20, 2011

Jeez, how autistic AM I?

    Yesterday was Dad's moving day, which would have gone smoothly if I had planned the phone situation better. Unfortunately, I played it by ear, which didn't work out so well. I had his old cell phone and the new smart phone that sister Anne had bought for him. I had overmuch faith that the Verizon store would be able either to resurrect the one or make the other usable for him. John at the Verizon store disabused me of the first notion, saying that the phone was 10 years old and nobody makes batteries for it anymore.
    He did sell me a charger for the smart phone with a three-foot cord instead of the two-foot one it came with, but it turned out not to work. So not a good day at the Verizon store. (John did download and install an app killer for me, so it might have been a useful visit after all.) I rearranged the furniture in Dad's room so that the two-foot cord wasn't a problem. But I still don't know if he'll be able to use the smart phone, and because I didn't know when he would arrive, I couldn't be there to walk him through it.
    I felt awful leaving him with no way to call Margaret or get her call. Eventually, I remembered that William has a new cell phone, meaning that his old one is superfluous. I picked it up and got a new Net10 card and added minutes and days and voila: we're good to go. I think that will work better for Dad than the smart phone and will be much less of a temptation to room visitors. But it's a measure of my Asperger's that I was totally keyed up all day about leaving Dad phoneless and became relaxed and happy once I figured out the solution-- even though Dad was still in fact phoneless. Totally autistic, I am.
    Also yesterday, I was supposed to do the orientation call to become the new host for Drinking Liberally, and completely forgot. Damn damn damn. Can do it again in less than two weeks, and nobody died, but still. Damn damn damn.

No comments:

Post a Comment