Wednesday, October 5, 2011

REALLY Old Bluff Road

    To get to Congaree Swamp National Park from Columbia, you take Bluff Road most of the way, then turn on to Old Bluff Road to get the rest of the way to the entrance. For years now, I've had a recurring fantasy of opening a B&B near the park. As there is seldom a crush of visitors and as it's so close to Columbia anyway, it would probably be a pretty darn small B&B. But I think it would be awesome.
    Since the start of the 9-1-1 era (that's the phone number, not the date), every country road has to have a name and street sign, including even most driveways. In the case of driveways, people get to choose their own street name and you get a lot of Pit Bull Alley or Rattlesnake Road -type names. Thus, if I built such a B&B, I could have a street sign on Old Bluff Road reading Really Old Bluff Road.
    Boy, that was a long way to go for a very weak payoff, wasn't it? Well here's a better payoff: the nursing home just called to say that the bed sore on Dad's back has healed. She was looking for the right place on the form to find out how to address me other than "Is this the son of Mr. Dantzler?" I just laughed and said, "This is John." Hopefully, he only had the one bed sore and this is it. The way she said it, it sounded like there might be another one. I really need to think on my feet and ask people questions like that when I have them on the phone. Regardless, good news!

No comments:

Post a Comment