Wednesday, June 6, 2012

We bad, we worldwide

    I mentioned this the last time it happened, but only after it happened. For some strange reason, twice now I've had this unexplained influx of international visitors on this blog. Visitor stats are not terribly detailed; I can see which posts people are looking at, where they're from, how they got here and what platforms and browsers they're using.
    However, a lot of this information comes up blank, so for instance very few indicate what brought them to me. This may be, since Blogger is owned by Google, because they used some search engine that isn't Google. Perhaps one of my friends reading this might search me via some other search engine and surf in and then email me to tell me when you did this and I can check my stats and see if it shows up or not. C'mon! It'll be fun!
    Be that as it may or may not be (Alice always claimed that my NPR show would be called "Be That As It May"), every day, I'm getting one visitor each from eight to ten or more (Stats never show more than ten of anything) countries, with no indication as to why or how. I may have said it already, but it's like I'm on a really really unpopular international version of Tumblr. They are countries all over the world with very little in common.
    I get a kick out of it. They also seem to be looking at fairly random posts. Presumably, the recent posts showing up in stats reflect my friends and family keeping up on me, but I doubt friends and family are looking up random posts from a year or more ago. I can't think of any reason why anyone would pretend to be surfing in from dozens of different countries, or anything nefarious they would be up to. I have to assume that I've just hit some new search engines and Google, not being in the business of advertising other search engines, just doesn't share this fact. If you're ever in Tajikistan or Nigeria, do look me up. Or if you're already there and surfing in, hi!

No comments:

Post a Comment