Wednesday, January 21, 2015

I refuse to say what I am

    I mentioned at least once about the music writing app on Windows Phone which I used to enjoy futzing around with. It was somewhat Rock Band themed, I suppose, as there was a guitar, synth, bass and drums. On Android, I have an analogous one, but it has instead one synth voice and a half dozen percussion sounds. Both just provide four bars, repeated endlessly, but both are vastly more entertaining than one would expect given this description.
    Partly this is due to a peculiarity of-- the brain I guess. People just got to make sense out of things. So with the other app, I found myself turning the sounds into words and with this one I do, too. Strangely, it only ever seems to happen with the phone in my shirt pocket. Whether this is a function of the pocket muffling some of the sounds or of the vibrations transmitting to my skin, I haven't a clue.
    The most recent, uh, composition I would have wanted to talk about anyway, because it was very pretty and happy and I wished I had some idea how I had done that. Since this app has no way to save anything (unlike the other, which would at least output a code that I could copy and paste and then paste in again to play back something I had written and liked), I also have no way to play it back short of recording it on a blank tape. (How 20th century!) But what I really liked about it was that the sound eventually resolved into sounding like it was saying, over and over, "I refuse to say what I am." The ghost in the machine? I'm telling you, it'll be the dance hit of the summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment