Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Possibly unprecedented

    I don't ever actually remember buying new releases before. Norman Blake put out a new CD today and Chris Potter put out one last week and I bought both this morning. Those there are pretty darned new releases. If I'd noticed that the Potter disc featured strings, I probably wouldn't have bought it. This would have been a shame, as the strings are well-integrated and their participation is well thought out. The only shortcoming of the record: not enough Chris Potter. He's a pretty generous cat.
    Norman plays beautifully but his voice, never the most magnificent, seems to be tapped out. I think he should have let Nancy sing. Still, I like what I've heard. These two discs share the 3 CD changer with Ellington and Coltrane's collaboration; they're having a little trouble competing, but anybody would.
    Weather continues gorgeous, and amusingly just on the cusp of cold and warm. I took a nice long walk on Old State Road, out where I belong. I'm always happier on dirt than on cement, but as noted, I don't mind waiting until the mud dries up a little, which it did.

No comments:

Post a Comment