Sunday, January 18, 2015

Peace of mind

    As I have remarked, my dad wrote out by hand a multi-page set of instructions for what I was supposed to do after he died. This was two or three years ago, when he was worried about it. I guess writing it out gave him peace of mind, or I hope it did. He never actually gave me the document, nor even showed it to me. Since then, he and Margaret had to evacuate to a motel suite twice for reasons that I still can't tell you about, and everybody's possessions got kicked all over the place.
    Suffice it to say that we couldn't find the document. I imagine that even if I had it, I would still manage to bollocks up most things. It's just a skill. Still, it would be nice to have it. But I still like to think that writing it gave Dad some measure of peace, and the fact that he never got around to giving it to me might reflect some level of (perhaps misplaced) confidence in me. Anyway, I know where the life insurance policies are; I can probably cover most of the important stuff myself. And a lot of his ideas were fairly unrealistic, so maybe not having the document is in some ways a blessing.
    We got crazy-beautiful weather today, too, but it's windy. So it's balmy outside except you're somewhat at risk of getting blown to Oz, or at least to Kansas. This makes it a good day to stay in and watch football, a lucky coincidence, on the whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment