Saturday, January 31, 2015

Enough funerals!

    OK 2015! Uncle! I'm willing to admit that I'm licked, and that odd-numbered years are way better than me. You don't have anything else to prove. Enough with the deaths already.
    Granted, they were both wonderful, wondrous funerals, celebrating wonderful wondrous lives. But the obvious problem with funerals is that there has to be a death first. And I'm quite sure that Russ was even less willing to go than Dad was. But it was indeed a brilliant memorial service. Russ was full of jokes, smiles and laughs, and his friends shared a lot with us. As it happens, I went to Russ' dad's funeral back when we were still in high school, and remember being peeved that the minister clearly didn't know Mr. Henderson at all. This minister had no such problems. He was a long-time neighbor and family friend, and even got Russ' pronunciation of "Cool!" right.
    Moreover, when your memorial service is in a large chapel and is not only standing room only but has people spilling out the doors, that's probably all that needs to be said about your life. We would have stayed for the visitation with the family, but there were at least 100 people waiting and the guy from the funeral home was coaching them to be as brief as possible. I figured I would get in touch via Facebook instead.
    So 2015, do we have a deal? Can I get a break here? I think I'm ready for my happy new year now, a month late, if it's all the same to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment