Friday, March 23, 2012

I should be embarrassed

    but apparently am immune. The two-time defending national champion University of South Carolina baseball team is taking on the #1 University of Florida this weekend, starting last night. Last night, USC started their ace, Michael Roth, and I was really looking forward to using the headline (or more likely, status update), "The Roth is mighty and must prevail."
    I don't know why. It's 2012, I know, and making puns out of Babe Ruth headlines is maybe a little dated. The point is that when I looked it up to make sure I had the quote right, I found that it was already a pun on a famous Mark Twain quote, "The truth is mighty and will prevail." As obvious as it is when you see it, it never ever occurred to me that the Ruth headline was a takeoff on something else. I just thought it was great because it was so bombastic.
    I feel like an idiot. And it became a moot point since, although Roth very much held his own, he left with the game still in a 2-2 tie and so could not prevail. But the mighty Cocks did, 9-3, so at least the story had a happy ending.
    So did yesterday's dialysis, where they delivered Dad back to me with practically no delay and with an analysis that said his protein numbers were low. So that might explain his tiredness and feeling poorly. Hopefully with a pepped up diet he'll be feeling better right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment