Thursday, March 8, 2012

PSAs

    Generally, it's old-time radio that I won't shut up about, but I also listen to a lot of contemporary radio. One difference is that there are untold numbers of public service announcements (PSAs) on radio these days. It often seems like all the ads on radio are PSAs. Most are irritating, idiotic or both. It's odd that they run for ages and ages. It's odder still that a brand new crop came out last month. As if the Ad Council, which produces most of them, said "February 2012! It's about time we made some new PSAs!"
    While it's a relief to get a change in the audio diet, some of the new ones are already getting to be as annoying as the old ones. (For instance, the bizarre one about the kid who died on a trip to Japan, so we all have to raise awareness of safety issues when travelling abroad. It's certainly tragic that the kid died, but considering how many young people go abroad and how few die, maybe these resources could be put to some better use?) I wonder if TV had a new crop of PSAs in February, too? Notice I'm not tuning in to find out.
    Boy did I have weird dreams last night! There was some dealio where a monster was coming for me, and it had come before so I was prepared, and anyway I was leaving but I left a protector behind. It was apparently a pretty small monster, because the protector was an ant. Oh, and a spider. Very scary monster though as I recall. The rest of the dreams were of roughly equal weirdness but mercifully I have forgotten them.

No comments:

Post a Comment