Saturday, March 17, 2012

St. Pat's

    People from more than 50 miles from here are surprised that there's a major St. Patrick's Day celebration in Columbia SC, as there are no Irish people to speak of here. There are, however, a great many two-fisted drinkers, and an excuse to get stinkin' is always popular. This complicates my life insofar as the party is in Five Points, smack between where Dad is living and where he needed to go for dialysis today. Also, there was an underpublicised Run for the Cure event along Devine St., so my detour got detoured further. But we got there on time anyway, since I'm pretty good with detours, and I worked out the route back on my way home.
    In Dad news, he had some kind of bathroom emergency this morning and Margaret had to clean him up. She said "I didn't sign on for this!" I'd say I hate to say I told her so, but that wouldn't exactly be true. Also, the pharmacy can't give him his medicine because the prescription was written by a nurse-practitioner instead of a doctor. Hopefully, just getting the doctor's name will be sufficient. Seems stupid and sexist to me, though. Fortunately, he isn't on anything he'll die without, but it would still be nice to get through a whole week without this kind of unnecessary headache.

No comments:

Post a Comment