Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Brief pre-op update

    Here's what I know that I didn't know before about Dad's pacemaker procedure. Even though we had to be there at 10, it doesn't happen until 3 at the earliest. (That's when it's scheduled, but they had an emergency procedure and computers are running slow, so the odds that it happens that early are remote.) He was already expecting an overnight stay, but depending how things go, it might be two nights. He hasn't eaten or drunk since midnight and can't until the procedure is over, so he's very uncomfortable. At least he has a blanket and a TV. He'll have to wear an immobilizer (the big metal dealio that rides your head and shoulders, I think) for 24 hours. I'm pretty sure if they'd told him this in advance, he would have said, "Uh, I don't think I need a pacemaker all that badly." He's scheduled for dialysis tomorrow, which they say he can get done in the hospital.
    I'm on lunch break, and also running out to get some groceries, but I'll be back there before 3. He thinks Margaret will be staying the night with him, but I don't know how workable this is going to be. But if they want it to, I'll make it happen. I suspect that I'll be the one staying instead. The cat will be highly displeased.

No comments:

Post a Comment