Sunday, December 22, 2013

Rat a tat tat

    Over the decades, ex-Beatles have one thing in common. They all tend to introduce at some point in a song something that sounds a bit like a military tattoo. To my ear, rat-tat ta-tat-a-tat on a snare. This is odd, mainly because I can't think of this sound ever really coming up in any Beatles numbers. Half of it in "Glass Onion," and not too far off in "I Am the Walrus," but never the whole thing anywhere. Of course, I'm not the biggest Beatlemaniac in the world. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that it came up dozens of times.
    However, it definitely does for ex-Beatles. Three or four times on the album "All Things Must Pass." "Back Off, Boogaloo." "Instant Karma" and all many Plastic Ono numbers. And now Mr. McCartney joins the club on his new song, "Queenie Eye." This one sounds like "I Am the Walrus" in other ways as well. Maybe he DID learn something in all those years.

No comments:

Post a Comment