Monday, December 16, 2013

"Thanks for what?"

    I'm in a bit of a funk, so Paul and I went around to a couple of thrift stores, where he found many books and I found a 20-disc CD rack. Then we explored a bizarre (or possibly bazaar) new store called Super Dollar, which was a lot like Chinatown under one roof. Very weird toys, including an amazing array of air and pellet guns, and a rather alarming assortment of women's hats, each on its own bald little head. And endless selections of other junk, including a Confederate dream-catcher, and no, I'm not making that up.
    In the same strip mall is my favorite Thai restaurant. As we were hungry and I was still bummed, we went there for supper. After a while, a party including a very tiny little girl were seated next to us, with the little one right next to me. Her mom occupied her while they awaited their food by having her write Santa. When the little one, who was at most 4 but who was definitely writing since her mom corrected her spelling, finished, her mom told her to write, "Thanks." "Thanks for what?" the little girl said, instantly showing a greater understanding of the world than anyone else in the restaurant. Cheered me right up.
    The problem bringing me down is pretty much the same as ever. Dad is still having the endless gastric problems, and still can't find a doctor to help him. He made an appointment with a doctor from his primary care physician's practice for Wednesday. Hopefully, they'll at least have some suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment