Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Dum dum da dum

    I just tweeted, perhaps mysteriously, that "Dum dum da dum doesn't necessarily equal Here Comes The Bride." (Earlier and briefly I posted the same thing on Facebook, except with an extra dum. Unfortunately, the tune in my head was "Hail To The Chief," which would have made for a great joke 5-odd years ago, but rather spoiled this one. It's just been that kind of day.)
    What brings it all up is that I bought an office chair at Habitat for Humanity's thrift store ReStore. It was a fairly nice one for $10. Unfortunately, by the time I got it to my car, it had four casters instead of five. I walked back around to the checkout area to look for the fifth one, but it was nowhere. They don't accept returns, so I just shrugged and took it home.
    My thinking, such as it was, was that the caster must have been missing all along and I just hadn't noticed. I had sat in the chair and rocked in it and it worked well, so I decided that I didn't need all five. Later, I thought about it and remembered that when I was pushing the chair to the checkout area, the base was spinning around, and all the way around. I definitely would have noticed if a caster were missing. So presumably when I picked up the chair to carry it out, one caster fell off and some person picked it up immediately. I should have asked if anyone had seen it, but as I say, at the time I thought it must have never been there.
    I got it home and set it down on the front walk and tried sitting and rocking. Indeed, missing one caster made a lot of difference. So it never even made it in the house, going straight to the curb. And the That's What I Get For Being Stupid file, already voluminous, gets one more entry.
    Dad is getting his pacemaker tomorrow. We're pretty relaxed about it, actually. We're more worried about being bored to death or starving to death than any more dramatic event happening. He does seem to think he'll be admitted to the hospital, but we can cope with that, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment