Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Not entirely un-pecan-sandie-like

    I really really should stop posting once-a-day only and at the same time get away from grab bag type postings. Instead, I should post whatever complete thought occurs to me. Wait, that's a sentence; to be clearer, I should post on only one topic per entry, however short that makes the entry, and post several times a day if that's what my brain spits out. Hmm, I'll think about it.
    Except for that thought, though, this should be fairly singleminded. Ages ago, I tried and failed to come up with a way to make gluten-free pecan sandies. More recently, as I mention almost weekly, I've been trying to find some way to bake with cocoa butter without buying an emulsifier factory. Also, I had some brown rice flour which I never much liked baking with because it's dry and gritty. And I thought, hmmmm... something that's too dry and something else that's too wet... NAW, that's just crazy!
    So I tried it. About an ounce of cocoa butter chunks, melted. I tried to squirt out 1/4 cup of honey, but it was probably more like a couple, three tablespoons. A half cup of brown rice flour. A quarter cup of coconut, and another of almond milk. A half cup of chopped pecans. A teaspoon of vanilla. An egg or a tablespoon of chia seeds pureed with 3 T of water.
    I preheat the oven to 350 degrees. As usual with these experimental trials, I just spatulaed the whole mess into one gigantic pancake on parchment paper on a pizza pan. I cooked the thing 20 minutes on one side, flipped it and gave it another five. The result is very pleasant. Probably needs more vanilla. Possibly needs more honey. Would probably be lighter and more pecan sandie like with some baking powder. But they held together well, cut up into bars. They probably would do the same as cookies. The coconut should have been weird, but really isn't. And very little cocoa butter leaked out onto the parchment paper. And the texture didn't seem dry at all in spite of the rice flour. So... a success? I don't know, but not a failure anyway. Pleasant erring towards tasty is OK by me!
Edit: I had forgot to mention the egg or chia seeds. Since then I'm up to a tablespoon of vanilla and 2 oz of cocoa butter chunks. Strangely, the flavor didn't change much. Darned pleasant cookies regardless.

No comments:

Post a Comment