Thursday, December 19, 2013

Monkey approved

    I had an office chair. Since I only needed it to use the PC and since the PC is almost 13 years old, it was and is more or less an affectation to have an office chair. But the small cat, Amelia or The Monkey, liked it. You might even say that she loved it to death. Being a cat, she claws the heck out of most things, and she certainly clawed the heck out of this. Eventually, the stuffing started to come out. As Amelia is not exactly the smartest cat in the world, I was worried that she would eat the little bits of foam rubber that spilled out. So it was time to get a new (to me at least) office chair.
    I already blogged about the minor fiasco when I first tried to get a replacement, but the event was not important enough to recapitulate here. I went to the same thrift store and got a much nicer office chair, also with four casters, but this time designed that way. And it was half-price for some mysterious reason, possibly because the Habitat ReStore is moving soon. I dunno.
    I got the chair home and Amelia went a little beyond the usual clawing at it. This chair has eight decorative cloth buttons, and the Monkey seemed intent on claiming all of them. The quest also made a fairly irritating noise, so fairly quickly I said "Bump this" and put my fleece blanket over the chair. Since then, she's lost interest in it entirely, even though it's the same blanket she had been happy to crawl all over when it was covering me.
    This left me short a blanket, in December. Nearly eight years ago when this creature came into my life, it was into a house that already had a cat. I had a small dome tent at the time and a blanket I liked. We put her in the tent with the blanket in hopes that she would ease her way in. And I guess eventually she did. But first she peed all over my blanket. I just put it in my trunk and left it there, and Alice gave me a comforter to substitute.
    All these years later, I find myself needing a blanket for reading time, so I finally laundered the dang thing. Eight years took the smell away, except for maybe a bit of car trunk smell. But Amelia would have nothing to do with it. This is fairly normal with her; anything new tends to be the enemy for a while. But she would have NOTHING to do with it. She would climb up and stand on my collarbone to avoid touching it, or stand on my also fairly new fleece chair, which she had previously avoided. Yesterday, she finally deigned to lean down and knead the heck out of the blanket, and then was willing to sit on my lap with the blanket between us. Whew!

No comments:

Post a Comment