Sunday, November 23, 2014

Dream movie

    Last night I had an ultra-weird dream even by my standards. Let's see if I can remember much of it. I was in the usual vast dormitory-like place. This time, though, my dad was there, too. Generally, it was a college dormitory, but apparently there was a nursing home attached. My dad had just been reassigned to a new room which was a leaky basement under a staircase. His bed was in a non-leaky section though, and they had sent along an extra mattress and box spring in case this set was uncomfortable.
    In real life, it was raining at the time, which might explain the rain in the dream. What I don't understand is why I kept hearing machinery noises; at approximately 6 on Sunday morning, there shouldn't have been any of that around. Anyway, in the dream, I had some extra sisters, all of whom were busily trying to get Dad into a private home.
    I wandered out to another room, where a movie was playing and I fell asleep. I thought I heard Robin Williams and identified the movie as "The Best of Times," a movie real John has never seen. Rapidly though it turned into a Richard Gere-Billy Crystal vehicle, wherein the two stars trade families and apparently communicate telepathically (even in Yiddish) with the new families. Even in the dream, this struck me as weird.
    There were a couple of strict old ladies, one of whom wrote me a bill for $7 for the movie. I was outraged, saying she should tear it up, that I was asleep during the movie. Then magically the movie turned into a meal. Stuffed flounder, I guess, but all I remember was the stuffing, which was all crabmeat and shrimp. Delicious! Suddenly I wasn't mad anymore and thought that they should charge me more, but for the seafood (which was still somehow part of the movie) and not the Richard Gere part.
    I hardly ever get to eat in a dream and it's hardly ever good if I do. The last time I remember doing so it was a gluten-inflected dream where I was eating pizza and then remembered that I can't. I don't remember any good dreams about food. Moreover, when I woke up, I badly needed the bathroom. I had been wishing that my brain could come up with some other approaches to waking me up in that situation other than having me dream about looking endlessly for urinals. If this is that solution, I hereby embrace it.
    Also also, in real life 35 years ago, Andy Durham and I and the daughters of the families we were staying with in Mulhouse, Alsace, France went to see "Days of Heaven" (Les Moissons du Ciel, or something like that) with Richard Gere. Can't speak for the girls, but Andy and I snored through it. Just a coincidence, no doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment