Friday, November 14, 2014

Pop hates the Beatles

    Actually, Pop doesn't; this is the title of an Allan Sherman parody song from back in the day, maybe not before my time, but before my ability to remember anything. Dad liked the Beatles, or at least "Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da"; I don't know about anything else. No, but it has occurred to me over the years of driving Margaret about that it's interesting to hang around with someone old enough to have disapproved of the Beatles. The other day, "Sergeant Pepper's" and "With a Little Help From My Friends" came on the radio, so I asked her.
    She couldn't remember. When I mentioned that it was the '60s, she said that that was 33 years ago. "Would that it were true!" I said. When I noted that the song we were hearing was 47 years old but that Beatlemania was 50 years ago, it didn't help. I asked if her daughters, now in their 70s, liked them and she said she guessed so. Apparently, I'm hanging around with someone old enough to have been indifferent to the Beatles, which is also kind of impressive.

No comments:

Post a Comment