Saturday, March 14, 2015

Domestication

    With these kitties sleeping on either side of me, I was wondering if one reason we could domesticate cats has to do with the size differential. I'm not sure I'm up either for the math or the English, but what I was wondering more or less is whether we're about as much larger than an adult cat as the mother cat is to the kitten. I think it's pretty definite that the essence of domestication is pushing back the adult to childhood (feeding it as much as it wants to free it for a life of play and napping). So I guess what I'm wondering is whether the relative sizes involved make this easier, are just a coincidence, or if I'm talking out my butt again.
    It would make kind of a cool sci fi story, though, especially if cats were more like dogs. Giant, humungo, vastly advance aliens come and decide not to eradicate us because we're cute and let us follow them around as pets. Of course, the story doesn't have to reveal immediately that the pets are humans and the owners are aliens. Of course, it's probably been done a thousand times (like most things). Still might be fun, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment