Monday, March 23, 2015

Golden age

    Continuing on the theme of reruns, Casey Kasem's rebroadcast this past Saturday morning was from this weekend, forty years ago, of if you prefer, March 22, 1975. For a change, I was able to listen to the entire show and I was awed. Here ya go: AT 40 forty years ago There was the usual array of stuff that I thought was from years earlier or from years earlier, but what really got me was how much really great music was on there. OK, sure, the Bertha Butt Boogie was on there, too, but still!
    It occurred to me though that 1975 certainly should have been a golden age. Leaving aside the fact that I was 13 at the time, certainly impressionable and that it should have seemed to be a golden age to me then and in memory, the point is more that I, as a representative of the tail end of the postwar baby boom was 13 and the oldest members of that group were not yet 30. Marketers today fantasize about having a group of 13-29 year old consumers to sell to. As such, the best-selling singles of any given week were pretty likely to be, maybe not Bach cantatas exactly, but not Robin Thicke either. And if you don't think so, shame shame shame shame shame shame shame shame on you/ if you can't dance too!

No comments:

Post a Comment